How to apply

How to apply

Register on Homefinder to apply for an independent living property. Then you’ll be able to:

  • View all available properties and their locations
  • View property details
  • Apply for a property.

Once you’ve registered for a property, you’ll need to send a few documents so we can process your application.

These could range from a recent bank statement, to proof of your pension, savings, or other benefits.

We’ll send you a letter telling you exactly what we need from you, and how best to send it.

Take me to Homefinder

Extra care housing application process

Homefinder Somerset holds a waiting list for Extra Care properties. 
To get on the list you need to:

  1. Register on Homefinder
    Make sure that you select the Extra Care Housing box on section 4 of this application

  2. Provide identification (ID) to South Somerset District Council within 28 days, so they can activate your Homefinder application.
    *If you select Extra Care only on section 4, you do not need to provide evidence or ID to South Somerset District Council as they will automatically activate your account.

  3. Yarlington will see that you have registered on Homefinder and have selected Extra Care housing. From this we will send you either via post or email a verification form to complete and send back to us. Along with this you will need to provide evidence of your finances. You will receive a letter when we send out the verification form detailing exactly what we need. The purpose of this form is for us to work out the affordability of Extra Care Housing for the applicant. It will also ensure that the right tenancy is given and it also gives us the opportunity to carry out any checks as a landlord for example a tenancy reference if the applicant is in rental accommodation.

  4. When we receive your completed verification we will make a referral to Adult Social Care to complete a ‘What Matters To Me Assessment’ which is a Care and Support Assessment. Adult Social Care will contact you directly to arrange this visit once we have made the referral. The purpose of this assessment is to determine the ‘need’ for Extra Care housing, with regards to the care, support and any additional services that may be needed within our Extra Care schemes.

  5. We then take the assessments to a panel meeting with Adult Social Care. The panel meetings take place every twoweeks. At the meeting we will look at all assessments and as a panel we will determine a score of high, medium or low based on your individual needs. If you meet the criteria for Extra Care housing you will be added to the waiting list.

  6. If you do not meet the criteria for Extra Care housing, Adult Social Care will contact you, explain why and provide you with alternative housing options and guidance on how to apply.

If any of these stages aren’t completed, we won’t be able to place you on the list. If you need help with your application, please do not hesitate to get in touch on 01935 404042 or

If you need help with this or have any other independent living questions, get in touch with the team.

Independent Living Team

fa-phone 01935 404042